Oftentimes, holiday classics come with a high carbohydrate load and so finding a healthy, tasty, grain-free version is tricky. This bread-less stuffing is a perfect alternative if you are looking to maintain a lower carbohydrate diet throughout the holidays – it’s made with simple ingredients and tastes better than the real thing!
Ingredients (ideally organic if possible):
- 2 tablespoons oil (olive, avocado, coconut or ghee)
- 3 cups onion diced
- 2 cups celery diced
- 1 cup mushrooms diced
- 1 cup apple cored and diced
- ¼ cup dried cranberries (unsweetened) or dates, chopped
- ¼ cup flat-leaf parsley chopped
- 1 ¼ teaspoons ground sage
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- ½ teaspoon each of ground marjoram, rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups almond flour
- 3 eggs, whisked
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron or oven-proof skillet over medium heat. Add onion, celery, apple, mushrooms, cranberries or dates, parsley, seasoning, salt, and pepper. Sauté until very soft, about 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Keep in an oven-proof skillet or transfer to 9×9″ baking dish. Stir in almond flour and mix well. Add the whisked eggs and stir well. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until browned on top.
Adapted from https://40aprons.com/best-paleo-stuffing/